Monday, June 13, 2011

How piano helped me to become a professional singer

Piano recitals were a dreaded part of my childhood.  All I wanted to do when I was little was to become a professional singer  I'm sitting in the front row of my church's choir room in agony, waiting for my turn to sit at the piano and play my minuet in front of my friends, my sunday school teachers, my parents friends... and that one girl who everybody loved and could do no wrong.  I at least wanted to play my song through, not stopping at that one note that always tripped me up, and for her to mess up just this once.  My turn comes...and is over before I know it.  It was all a blur.  My hands were cold and clammy and automatic; flying over the ivories with great muscle memory.  Applause, take a bow, back to the front row where my seat was still warm.   I did it!
 Having had piano is a vital part of my being able to do what I do as a professional singer.  It's essential to my sight-singing and my musicianship.  I encourage all of my own students to take piano.

click here for a great online tool for learning piano...at any age!  If you want to become a singer, piano will only enhance your musicianship!

No comments:

Post a Comment